Every time I make pizza from scratch, I wonder whyyyyy on earth I don’t make it more often. It’s SO freaking good! I’m thinking I need to make Friday pizza night a thing in this house.
It all begins with this whole wheat thin crust. It’s super light, but still chewy and crisp on the bottom. The perfect accompaniment to the creamy, lemony, garlicky ricotta. And salty prosciutto. And melty mozzarella. Oh my gosh.
The base is a super simple blend of ricotta, peas, lemon zest, and garlic. It gets spread on the pizza and topped with prosciutto and mozzarella. It only bakes for 10-15 minutes, and that’s it! When it comes out of the oven, I love topping it with parm and fresh basil. My obligatory toppings to ANY pizza.
The combination here is just insane. The salty prosciutto and lemony ricotta pair so wonderfully together. The pizza is really only 8 ingredients, not counting the dough. The dough is reallllly super simple to make if you have the time. If not, store-bought dough will do in a pinch!
I loved serving this with a big salad and an ice cold glass of sauvignon blanc. It was PERFECT.
- For the DOUGH:
- ½ cup warm water
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For the PIZZA:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces prosciutto
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese + extra for serving
- fresh basil
- Begin by making the dough. Add warm water, yeast, and honey to a large bowl. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes until bubbles form at the top. Add flour, salt, and olive oil and stir until it starts to form a dough.
- Work it together using your hands onto a clean, dry countertop dusted with flour to prevent sticking. Knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Form dough into a ball and place back in bowl and cover with a dish towel. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss the dough ball to cover. Let rise for 1-1½ hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- In the meantime, make the ricotta. Add ricotta, peas, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Blend for a minute or so until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Once dough has risen, lightly flour the countertop. Preheat oven to 450℉. Turn the dough out onto the countertop, and use heel of your hand to press and stretch the dough out into a large rectangle shape (or circle if you have a pizza stone) until it's about a ¼-inch thick or less. If you want a super thin crust, you can use a rolling pin, but it isn't necessary. Place dough on an oiled baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly onto the dough.
- Top with half of the mozzarella, then arrange the prosciutto on top. Top with remaining mozzarella and the parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly and crust is golden as well.
- Top pizza with extra parm and basil leaves and serve!