Sometimes there’s nothing better than some good, juicy steak. That’s how I felt about these salads when I first made them. Flank steak is one of my favorites, and always has been. My mom made it pretty often growing up and I’ve always been obsessed. As much as I love it, it’s not something I have all the time. It feels more like a luxury..you know? As much as I’d love to have steak every week, I don’t think my wallet would love it so much.
When you’re in the mood for some steak, but not something too heavy, these salads are the answer. I rubbed the flank steak with my favorite blend of Mexican spices, and seared it in a cast iron skillet. SO. MUCH. FLAVOR.
And it takes literally less than 10 minutes to cook.
I decided to add my favorite avocado cilantro dressing to the equation, and things just got even better. Creamy avocado, bright cilantro, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and a little salt. I could drink this stuff.
It’s such a versatile dressing and could even be used as a dip too! I LOVE it.
Peppers and onions are necessary for this fajita salad. I cooked them in the same pan as the steak, so they got infused with all the charred goodness and spices. I love adding a warm component to a salad too. I just adds that little “something”, and makes it feel more like a meal.
And I honestly cannot go without carbs at a meal, so a warmed tortilla or two made its way into my salad. Crushed tortilla chips are never a bad option either. 🙂
Does anyone else get super cranky when they don’t have enough carbs? It’s one thing I immediately notice if I don’t get my carbs throughout the day. It’s also probably because I’m super active too, but regardless, #carbsarelife. Don’t fear them!
I know I’ve been sharing a lot of Mexican recipes lately, because I LOVE THEM more than anything, and also because of Cinco, but let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to see, or if you want the Mexican recipes to keep coming!
I always love getting your feedback. Also, this recipe is Whole 30 friendly if you’re into that!
The only thing missing is a marg, but you probably knew that already!
- For the SALADS:
- 2 heads romaine, chopped
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- extra chopped cilantro for serving
- lime wedges for serving
- tortillas for serving (optional)
- For the DRESSING:
- ½ an avocado
- zest of ½ a lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup packed cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Make the dressing. In a food processor or blender, combine the avocado, lime zest, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, and salt. Blend until creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to combine. Rub entire mixture (it will seem like a lot) all over the flank steak, pressing to adhere.
- Heat a large skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat with one tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the steak and sear for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness and how rare you like it. Once cooked to your liking, set aside to rest.
- Carefully wipe out the pan with paper towels, and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the peppers and onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once steak has rested, thinly slice against the grain.
- To assemble the salads, top the romaine with the peppers and onions, slices of steak, the dressing, sliced avocado, extra chopped cilantro, lime wedges, and a couple warm tortillas. Enjoy!