Oh, avocado toast. I love you so much. If you don’t follow me on social media, you may not know that my love for avocado toast knows no bounds. I eat it litttterally every since day for breakfast in some way, shape, or form. I could never get sick of it! I honestly CRAVE it every single morning. Without fail. Not because it’s super trendy and basic, I swear. I just love it so so so much!
So I wanted to switch it up! I usually eat it with sautéed greens and egg whites, and lately with Trader Joe’s everything bagel seasoning which is INSANE by the way if you haven’t tried it. But I was craving something a little different..a switch up from my classic breakfast.
I remembered this INCREDIBLE avo toast I had when I lived in Los Angeles. Yep, I lived in California for a minute if you didn’t know. Such an incredible place..I miss it!
So the toast. It was a cream cheese avocado toast served on a super seedy bread, but the avocado and cream cheese were mixed together so you couldn’t actually see the cream cheese. It had picked onions and microgreens on it and it was to die for. Hence the reason for me re-creating today’s recipe!
I decided to keep the smashed avo and cream cheese separate this time, so you could taste the individual flavors a bit more. I don’t usually add anything to my avocado toast other than salt or that crazy good everything bagel seasoning, but this time I smashed it with a little lime too. It just gives that extra zip.
And the heirloom tomatoes! Cannot forget about those. They’re so stunning and juicy and my favorite kind of tomatoes. I look forward to them every summer! SO good on toast. Or just plain with sea salt. Sometimes the simplest foods are the best foods! While you’re at it, make this salad.
I don’t think I have to explain the love for poached eggs here. Who doesn’t love a super drippy egg?!
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread, toasted (or your favorite crusty grainy bread!)
- 1 avocado, pitted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- squeeze of lime
- 2 poached eggs (or fried, scrambled, sunny side up, etc. whatever your favorite is!)
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
- cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the avocado, salt, and lime juice. Smash with a fork until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread toasted bread with a generous layer of cream cheese, then top with the smashed avocado and tomato slices.
- Top with poached eggs and a handful of microgreens. Season with salt and pepper and devour!