Acai bowl + chia pudding = best combo EVER. Why have I never thought of this?! It’s seriously a texture lover’s dream. Chia pudding mixed with all the crunchy toppings and smooth acai purée is so delicious and perfect.
This was inspired by a brunch I had recently in NYC at a cute little café. It makes me feel summery in the midst of this gloomy, rainy winter we’re having.
I actually crave smoothies more in the colder months than in the summer. I have no idea why, but I do.
I’ve never thought of adding black sesame to smoothie bowls, but it was just perfect with the sweet banana and honey. Love the nuttiness of the sesame and the pumpkin seeds too!
It was a nice switch-up from the usual granola, fruit, and nut butter. Not that that’s EVER a bad thing.
I love this chia pudding too. It’s such a simple recipe, but it’s my favorite thus far. Just almond milk, chia seeds, honey, and vanilla. That’s it! I love having it as a mid morning snack with a little nut butter and fruit. Its so satisfying texture wise, and it keeps my crazy hunger at bay.
I poured the chia pudding into one half, and the acai smoothie into the other half of the bowl, but you can get creative and layer these in jars, or just mix everything together! The toppings are also super customizable, so feel free to make these your own.
Sunshine in a bowl.
- for the CHIA PUDDING:
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the ACAI:
- 1 unsweetened frozen acai packet (I buy the Sambazon brand from Whole Foods)
- 1 banana, previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- For the TOPPINGS:
- sliced banana
- black sesame seeds
- To make the chia pudding, combine almond milk, chia seeds, honey, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. I usually stir mine once or twice to break up any chunks before I go to bed.
- Once chia pudding is ready, make the acai smoothie. In a high powdered blender, combine the acai packet, frozen banana, strawberries, raspberries, and almond milk. Blend until completely smooth. It will be thick, so you might have to stir things around in your blender a couple times to get things going. The goal is to not add a lot of almond milk so it's super thick like ice cream!
- Pour chia pudding into half of a bowl, and the acai purée to the other half. Garnish with toppings and a drizzle of honey!