These may just be the BEST tacos I’ve ever made. And I’ve made a TON of tacos. I’m so happy with how these coconut shrimp turned out too. They’re incredibly crispy, flavorful, and healthy! They’re lightly pan fried in coconut oil, and take minutes to make! The sweet chili mango slaw is sooo delicious and pairs perfectly with the shrimp. Oh, and avocado mash to top it all off. You know I can’t make many things without adding avocado.
These healthy coconut shrimp aren’t deep fried, and are still SUPER crispy and delicious. They’re dipped in a little tapioca flour (you could also use cornstarch), then dipped in an egg and egg white mixture, then finely shredded coconut! And a little panko for extra crispiness. That’s it. Then you lightly fry them for a minute or two per side. These are going to be a regular thing in this household. I can’t get over how good they are!!
The sweet chili mango slaw is just six ingredients and SO simple to put together. Red cabbage, mango, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, rice wine vinegar for a little tang, and cilantro are a match made in heaven. The sweet and spicy combo here is killlller.
If you can find it, I’d recommend using the super finely shredded coconut instead of regular shredded coconut. Both will work though. I just found that the super finely shredded coated the shrimp more perfectly. Or, you could pulse regular shredded coconut a few times in the food processor to make tinier shreds.
The avocado mash adds that creamy coolness to balance out the sweet and spicy flavors. Plus, avocado makes everything better. It’s true.
The only thing missing is a huge margarita.
- For the SHRIMP:
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup tapioca flour (can sub cornstarch)
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- For the SLAW:
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped (use ½ if you don't like a lot of spice)
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the AVOCADO MASH:
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- For SERVING:
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- Prepare your dipping station for the shrimp. Put the tapioca flour in a medium bowl. Set aside. Put the egg and egg whites in a separate bowl and whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut, panko, and salt and stir to combine.
- Dip the shrimp in the tapioca flour, shake off any excess, then dip in the egg mixture to coat, and lastly the coconut panko mixture until completely coated. Repeat until all shrimp are coated.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium/high heat and add the coconut oil. Fry shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side until golden and crispy. Be careful on timing, the coconut can burn quick! If it seems like they're getting to dark, turn the heat down to medium.
- Fry all the shrimp (you may need to do it in batches) and set on paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil.
- To make the slaw, combine cabbage, mango, and jalapeño in a large bowl. Add the lime juice, sweet chili sauce, rice wine vinegar, and salt and toss to combine. Add the cilantro and toss again.
- To make the avocado mash, combine the avocados, lime juice, and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until desired consistency is reached.
- To assemble the tacos, place several shrimp in a tortilla, top with slaw, and the avocado mash! I add a little extra cilantro and squeeze of lime as well.