One of my absolute favorite meal prep recipes: Greek yogurt chicken salad! First of all, who doesn’t love chicken salad? I don’t know what it is about chicken, creamy mayo, a little celery, onion, salt, and pepper, that just tastes SO good. This is one of those times where simple is the best. But, in an effort to lighten-up the classic chicken salad, I used one of my very favorite swaps – Greek yogurt! And you really can’t tell a difference.
This recipe is suuuuper customizable. I used some of my favorite add-ins here, but feel free to use your faves! Toasted walnuts and almonds, celery, red onion, dried cherries, parsley, and dill. And a little lemon because it brightens everything up!
This is a perfect Springy lunch or snack with some crackers. I can only eat so many protein bars and energy bites and veggies and hummus before I just want a mini meal for a snack..do you guys feel that way sometimes?
I often make this on Sunday when I’m craving something a little different than my usual salads with grilled chicken for lunches. It keeps super well in the fridge for a few days, which is crucial because #mealprep.
If you want to add a couple tablespoons of mayo to the greek yogurt mixture, by all means feel free too. It adds a little richness, but isn’t completely necessary. You do you!
Can you tell I really love meal prep? I’m planning on writing a post soon all about how I meal prep. And maybe a little video too. Tell me what you guys wanna see!
Adding this to a sandwich on toasted bread with lots of avocado would be sooo good too.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 0%, but 2% or full-fat would yield a creamier, richer result)
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or almonds, toasted (I used a mixture of the two)
- ½ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Season chicken breasts with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Cook chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dijon, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Once chicken is cool, cut into bite-size chunks. Place chicken in a large bowl and add Greek yogurt mixture. Stir to combine. Add nuts, celery, red onion, dried cherries, parsley, and dill and stir again to combine.
- Serve with crackers, on a sandwich, toast, or by itself!