There aren’t many things that make me happier than a big cheeseboard filled with ALL the things. I had so much fun putting this together. I love entertaining with cheeseboards because they are simple and SO much fun to put together, they’re gorgeous, everyone loves them, and you can serve a big crowd easily. I also added hummus and some homemade pita chips that are drenched in a cinnamon nutmeg brown butter. Obsesssssed.
So this hummus. It’s so delicious and slightly sweet thanks to sweet potato and a little maple syrup. I added cinnamon and nutmeg too because it’s fall and I put them in everything! There’s still your regular garlic, tahini, lemon, and olive oil in there too. Because I can’t have hummus without garlic! I love the slightly sweet hummus paired with all of the savory cheeses and meats. Such a good combo!
And the pita chips omg. They’re baked but SO super crispy. The spiced brown butter gets brushed onto the pita, and then you bake the pita wedges for ten minutes. That’s it! So easy. I may never buy store-bought pita chips again. They are insanely delicious.
When I’m making a cheeseboard, aside from choosing several different cheeses, I always make sure I have a bunch of nuts, salami and/or prosciutto, crackers, breadsticks, baguette, honey, fig jam or quince paste, dried fruit, grapes, apple slices, and whatever fruit or veg is in season. Oh and olives too!
Basically, load it up with your favorite varieties of nuts, cured meats, crunchy things, pickled/briny things, and whatever your heart desires! You really can’t go wrong here. More is more!
Nothing makes me happier than this spread!
- For the HUMMUS:
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup mashed sweet potato (about one medium)
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅔ cup olive oil, plus extra for topping
- 6-7 tablespoons ice water
- For the brown butter spiced PITA CHIPS:
- 3 pitas, cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- For the CHEESEBOARD:
- garlic and herb cheese (such as Boursin)
- brie or camembert (I used a wild mushroom triple cream brie)
- asiago cheese (I used Sartori rosemary and olive oil asiago)
- merlot or syrah soaked cheese (I used Sartori merlot bellavitano)
- gorgonzola cheese (I used Sartori)
- sharp cheddar (can also use an aged cheddar)
- cranberry goat cheese
- sliced apples
- pomegranate arils
- cranberries (just for garnish, they're super tart and bitter, but you could use dried!)
- any dried fruit (apricots, prunes, raisins, cranberries, figs)
- sourdough or french baguette
- candied pecans
- honey or honeycomb
- fig jam, quince paste, and/or sour cherry preserves
- olives, cornichons
- Make the hummus. Combine chickpeas, mashed sweet potato, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the olive oil and blend for a couple minutes, scraping down the sides as needed. With the processor running, add the ice water a tablespoon at a time, and blend for another couple minutes or until hummus is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scoop into a serving bowl, smooth out the top, and drizzle with extra olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted and beginning to bubble, start whisking until brown bits appear at the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and continue to whisk for a minute or so. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- Lay the pita wedges on the baking sheet and brush both sides with the spiced brown butter. Season with salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Serve with the cheeses and all of the fixings!
Some of these cheeses were generously provided to me by Sartori. As always, all opinions are my own! Thank you so much for supporting Spices in My DNA!