One of my FAVORITE things in the world to do is re-create meals with a healthier spin, without sacrificing flavor. This one delivers..and then some. SO much flavor you guys! I’m in love. The cauliflower rice makes the dish super low carb and ups the veggie content, which I am always in favor of. It comes together pretty quickly too..the most time consuming part of this meal is probably all of the chopping and dicing!
This dish is also super forgiving. You can add whatever veggies you want. These just happen to be a few of my faves. This would be great with broccoli, snap peas, yellow squash, bok choy, or even mushrooms.
A time saving hack you could use is Trader Joe’s cauliflower rice. It’s JUST cauliflower and it’s pre-riced..no additives! It doesn’t take long at all to give your cauliflower a whirl in the food processor, but I’m always looking for time saving tips! Definitely look for it if you have a TJ’s near you. 🙂
Another one of my new found loves is CASHEW BUTTER. It’s SO creamy and delicious. It has this sweetness to it that I can’t describe, but you should totally pick up a jar if you haven’t tried it. If you’re sick of almond or peanut butter, it’s a great alternative. Let’s be real, I never get sick of any nut butter, but it’s a nice change.
My favorite brand is Maisie Jane’s. It’s UNREAL. Target’s simply balanced brand is delicious too.
This recipe is also paleo-friendly, low-carb, and high protein! So much goodness.
Creamy Cashew Thai Chicken with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets, then "riced" in the food processor
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 c. shelled edamame
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro, divided
- 3 tsp. coconut oil, divided
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 c. cashews, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- extra chopped cilantro for garnish
- For the SAUCE:
- 1/3 c. cashew butter
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 T. hoisin sauce (if strict paleo, you can omit, but this adds a lot of good flavor)
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek
- 2 T. soy sauce (I use low-sodium; you can use coconut amigos if paleo or tamari if gluten-free)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 c. hot water
- Begin by "ricing" the cauliflower. Put cauliflower florets in a food processor or blender and pulse until they turn into tiny "rice-like" bits. Set aside.
- Make the sauce. Add cashew butter, ginger, garlic, hoisin, sambal oelek, soy sauce, lime juice, and hot water to a medium bowl and whisk until completely combined and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat and add 1 tsp. of the coconut oil. Add the cauliflower rice and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Season with pepper. Remove from heat, add to a large bowl and stir in half of the cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Set aside.
- Using the same skillet you cooked the cauliflower in, add another teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, edamame, and yellow onion. Sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and place in another bowl to keep warm.
- Add the last teaspoon of coconut oil to the same skillet and add chicken. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until golden and cooked through. Add sauce and cook, stirring, for another minute or so until heated through.
- Serve creamy cashew chicken over a bed of the cilantro lime cauliflower rice and a pile of veggies. Garnish with the chopped cashews, scallions, and additional cilantro if desired.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #spicesinmydna on Instagram and/or Twitter, I love seeing what you guys create! <3
Leave a Reply