Can I call this a salad even though there aren’t any greens? I think so. It’s super healthy still, minus the little bit of feta, but, you gotta live a little, right? That’s the motto I’ve been trying to adopt at least. This salad is so super bright and springy and delicious and perfect for lunches to bring to work! It keeps really nicely in the fridge, even with the dressing on it. And if you really want to add greens, you totally should. I am a firm believer in getting in as many greens as you can a day, but if you aren’t, this is so super delicious as is. Make this and put a little bit of spring in your kitchen!
I can’t even deal with the beauty of these blood oranges and beets.
The combination of ingredients here is perfection. The saltiness of the pistachios and feta mixed with the sweet roasted beets and blood orange vinaigrette, plus the fresh mint…is really too good for words!
I’ve also deemed pistachios my favorite nut. Been eating them like crazy as of late!
Roasted Beet Salad with Quinoa, Mint, and Blood Orange Vinaigrette.
- two bunches beets, peeled and cut into 1'' cubes (about 6 medium-large, I used a mixture of red and golden)
- 3/4 c. quinoa (about 2.5-3 cups cooked)
- 2 T. chopped shallot
- 1/3 c. + 2 T. blood orange juice
- 2 T. champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. olive oil
- 1/4 c. chopped mint
- 1/4 c. chopped pistachios
- 1/3 c. feta crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Add beets to large baking sheet and toss in a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender, tossing occasionally.
- While the beets are roasting, cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Make the vinaigrette. Combine shallot, blood orange juice, champagne vinegar, dijon, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble salad, I usually let the beets and quinoa cool a bit first. Add the beets, quinoa, mint, pistachios, and feta to a large bowl and toss. Drizzle in a few tablespoons of vinaigrette and toss. Serve with extra vinaigrette and pistachios/feta if desired.