One of my favorite things in the world are “bowl” meals. Grains + veggies + protein + a yummy sauce + a crunch factor = heaven for me. They’re so versatile and easy for weeknights. You can have the quinoa or brown rice or whatever you’re using prepped and in the fridge, and then just throw together some veg and protein to go on top and you are SET. I make sooo many different types, including burrito bowls, black rice bowls, buffalo chicken bowls, really every combo of food that you can combine into a bowl, I’ve done. But on to these– the flavor is INSANE. My mom and I couldn’t stop going back for seconds, and thirds, and–you get the picture.
This marinade gives SUCH FLAVOR to the beef. I can’t get over how good and simple it is! Definitely trying it on chicken soon.
And the coconut milk sauce ? 4 ingredients of perfection!
Thai Sesame Garlic Beef + Kale Quinoa Bowls
- For the beef:
- 3/4 lb. stir fry beef (any thinly sliced beef will work)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 3 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 3 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. sambal oelek (this is a Thai chili sauce you can find in the International foods aisle)
- For the coconut sauce:
- 2/3 c. canned light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 T. peanut butter
- For the bowls:
- 3-4 c. cooked quinoa (about 1 1/2 c. dry)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 3/4 c. shredded carrots
- 2 T. olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Begin by making the marinade. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, sesame oil, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and sambal. Add the beef and toss with your hands to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- While the beef is marinating, make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, sambal, lime juice, and peanut butter until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When beef is finished marinating, remove from fridge to take the chill off. Start by heating 2 T. olive oil over medium/high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add sliced garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant. Add kale and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently and sauté for 4-5 minutes until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil. Remove beef from marinade and add beef into pan. Raise heat to high. Discard remaining marinade. Stir fry for 7 to 10 minutes or until beef is cooked through and a little caramelized.
- To assemble bowls, top quinoa with kale, then the beef, a drizzle of coconut sauce, and garnish with sliced scallions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply