I found us the PERFECT summer app! Or dinner, or snack..it’s really the perfect anytime food. Imagine sitting outside, sipping your cocktail of choice or some rosé, and eating GRILLED WATERMELON with melty cheese, salty pesto, and a drizzle of sweet honey. I really can’t think of a better situation. The combo might seem a little off the wall to you, but trust me on this one. It’s incredible. You’ll seem like such a rockstar if you make this for friends and family. It’s seems so complicated, but it’s so simple! Less than 10 ingredients!
The combination of sweet watermelon and honey mixed with the salty pesto, pistachios, and salty/rich mozzarella is pure heaven. I love how different and unique the flavor combo is. I can’t get enough. I can see myself making this all the time this summer and playing around with different cheeses and types of pesto.
An arugula pesto would be awesome here too. Cheese-wise, anything on the softer, melty side with a subtle flavor would work best. I personally love mozzarella, but you can use whatever you like! I made these on a grill pan indoors, but an outdoor grill would work great too.
There’s nothing like spending a perfect evening outside grilling, eating, and drinking ALL the summer things. So fabulous.
These are best served right away. They won’t keep well in the fridge. Definitely whip these up right before you’re going to eat them! They come together super quickly. You could definitely make the pesto in advance, and have everything sliced and ready to go as well!
I’ve always loved the warm weather, and everything that comes with summertime. Farmers markets, tons of fresh produce, spending time outdoors, and mood-boosting sunshine.
Watermelon pizza and rosé this weekend…who’s with me?!?!
- Slices of watermelon (about ½'' thick)
- Slices of fresh mozzarella
- honey for drizzling
- extra chopped pistachios
- 2 T. olive oil
- For the PESTO:
- Handful of flat-leaf Italian parsley (about ½ c.)
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves
- ⅓ c. roasted salted pistachios
- 2 T. olive oil
- Begin by making the pesto. Combine parsley, basil, thyme, and pistachios in a food processor. Pulse 20-25 times until finely chopped. Stream in the olive oil and process just until combined. You don't want the pesto to be puréed like a normal pesto, you want it on the chunkier/drier side. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium/high. Brush the watermelon slices with olive oil. Grill on the first side for 4-5 minutes or until caramelized and grill marks form. Flip the watermelon and top with slices of mozzarella. Cover grill pan with aluminum foil if using, or close the lid of the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is melty.
- Remove from grill, sprinkle with pesto, extra pistachios, and a drizzle of honey.