My first holiday cookie recipe of the season! And it’s a GOOD one. So much chocolatey goodness, PLUS salty roasted pistachios. Which might just be my favorite nut. These cookies are so delicious and everyone I shared them with couldn’t stop eating them!
We’ve got two types of chocolate chips in the cookies, melted dark chocolate IN the cookies themselves, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate drizzled on top! I don’t think I could’ve stuffed any more chocolate in these if I tried.
But the thing is, they aren’t overly rich or too sweet. They are just right. And I think they get better after sitting for a couple days. I think that about a lot of baked goods actually.
So, these are perfect for a holiday cookie exchange! And I’m definitely making these at my annual cookie bake this year.
Every year since I was little, a group of good family friends and my mom and I have a cookie bake in December where we all bake together for the WHOLE day and have a nice lunch too. I look forward to it every year and it is one of my favorite days of the season!
After baking all day, we exchange cookies and there’s usually SO many that it fills up a huge dining room table. It’s amazing. We all try to make different types of cookies and bars so there’s lots of variety.
I forgot to mention the sea salt on these! I sprinkle them with a tiny bit before baking and it makes the chocolate taste that much more amazing. I mean chocolate and salt? Sign me up any day of the week. The roasted pistachios are a little salty too which I love.
Bring on the sweet and salty always!
Do you have any December baking traditions?!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 7 ounces chopped dark chocolate, divided
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar, loosely packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (or you could use milk chocolate!)
- ½ cup roasted, salted, chopped pistachios, plus extra for sprinkling
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the butter and 3 ounces of the chopped dark chocolate. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. Mine took about 1½ minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, and egg yolk and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla and the butter/chocolate mixture once cool and whisk again until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a rubber spatula until combined. You could also use an electric mixer for this. Add the dark chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips and mix until combined. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Form batter into 1½ - 2 tablespoon sized balls and arrange on baking sheet with 2 inches in between. Sprinkle each cookie with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Bake for 12 minutes or until centers are just set. Cookies will seem very fragile when hot, but let them cool for several minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter and let cool completely before decorating. (I keep my batter in the fridge in between batches).
- Once cookies have cooled, melt remaining 4 ounces of chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Once melted, drizzle it on the cookies and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Let chocolate harden and enjoy!