This Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread with Chai Sugar is the ONLY pumpkin bread recipe you need this fall! It’s incredibly moist, filled with warm spices & a cheesecake layer, and topped off with a crunchy chai sugar dusting, which helps create this beautiful crust on top of the bread. You truly will not be able to stop eating this delectable fall treat.
In my eyes, the aroma of pumpkin bread baking in the oven on a cool, crisp fall day is the epitome of nostalgia and pure joy. This version takes your classic pumpkin bread to the next level, with the addition of a cheesecake-like layer, and a dusting of sugar mixed with chai spices. The bread itself is made in one bowl, and the cream cheese layer only takes a few seconds to whip up. I know it sounds slightly fancy/involved but I assure you it’s not! You will fall in love with this bread.
My pure nostalgia when it comes to pumpkin bread comes from my childhood.
Without fail, my mom made (and still makes) a particular pumpkin bread every year that’s perfectly spiced, moist, and filled with chopped fresh cranberries. The combination of the tart cranberries with the warm fall spices and sweet pumpkin is absolutely amazing. I always look forward to the many loaves she makes between the start of fall and Thanksgiving. When I smell that pumpkin bread baking, it automatically feels like home.
Although this version is different, it still has that perfect moist crumb, and plenty of fall spices. Dare I say it’s even better with the addition of the cheesecake-esque layer and crunchy chai sugar topping.
Let’s talk about this cream cheese layer!
All you need:
softened cream cheese
1 egg yolk
a pinch of salt
I like to use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to whip this up, but you can certainly use a handheld mixer as well. It takes just a few seconds to mix up, and the pumpkin bread itself is made in ONE bowl. Best news ever right?!
You can see how that chai sugar dusting bakes up into the most beautiful crust!
All you need for the bread:
pumpkin pie spice
light brown sugar
…and for the chai sugar:
Truly an amazing combination of beautiful, warm fall spices. I’d recommend making extra sugar – you can use it for this cocktail, or even use it to roll snickerdoodles in!
Here’s a quick rundown of how to make this pumpkin bread:
- Make the batter. In one bowl, first whisk together your eggs, pumpkin, both sugars, oil, and vanilla. Then, add your flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and whisk until just combined. Set aside while you make the chai sugar and cream cheese filling.
- Make the chai sugar. Combine the sugar and chai spices in a small bowl or ramekin and that’s it!
- Make the cream cheese filling. To a stand mixer or medium bowl, add the softened cream cheese (this is key to avoid lumps!), the egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Mix until smooth and combined.
- Assemble. To a greased and parchment-lined loaf pan, add half of the batter, then the layer of cream cheese filling. Dust the cream cheese layer with a tablespoon of the chai sugar, and top it with the remaining batter. Finally, sprinkle with the remaining chai sugar.
- Bake! This loaf takes 60-65 minutes in the oven. They key is to let it cool for 30 minutes in the pan after baking, and then remove and let cool the remaining way on a wire rack. It’s important to let this loaf cool, as the cream cheese layer sets up as it cools. 🙂
I can’t begin to tell you how delicious this bread is. If you enjoy Starbucks’ pumpkin bread (in my opinion, it’s the best one out there!), this one is every bit as good (and probably better). I mean, how can you really improve on pumpkin bread unless it has a cream cheese layer?!
If you love this recipe, you will also love:
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Nutella Crumb Muffins
Brown Butter Chai Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Chewy Tahini Gingersnaps with Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt
Pear Ginger Crisp
Vegan Pecan Crumble Baked Apples with Coconut Milk Caramel
Maple Layer Cake
Dirty Chai Cream Filled Doughnuts
Fudgy Almond Flour Brownies with Chai Salted Caramel
Can you tell I love fall just a little bit? 🙂
And don’t forget to share a photo on Instagram and tag me @spicesinmydna if you make this recipe! Nothing makes me happier than seeing what you create in the kitchen!
Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread with Chai Sugar
This Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread with Chai Sugar is the ONLY pumpkin bread recipe you need this fall! It's incredibly moist, filled with warm spices & a cheesecake layer, and topped off with a crunchy chai sugar dusting, which helps create this beautiful crust on top of the bread. You truly will not be able to stop eating this delectable fall treat.
For the pumpkin bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the chai sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the cream cheese filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Begin by making the pumpkin bread batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin purée, sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, canola oil, and vanilla. Whisk until completely smooth and combined. Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and whisk until combined (don't overmix!). Set aside.
Make the chai sugar. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, and ginger until combined. Set aside.
Make the cream cheese filling. To the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a mixing bowl with a handheld mixer), add your softened cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium/high until mixture is smooth and combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
To assemble the loaf, pour half of the pumpkin batter into the prepared pan. Gently top with the cream cheese mixture, spreading it out evenly, leaving a 1/8 inch border on the sides of the pan. Sprinkle cream cheese layer with 1 tablespoon of the chai sugar mixture. Top the loaf with the remaining pumpkin batter, and sprinkle the top with the remaining chai sugar.
Bake for 60-65 minutes, until top is set, no longer jiggly, a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and edges are nice and golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then gently remove and let cool the remainder of the way on a wire rack. Once cool, slice and enjoy! It's important to let this bread cool before slicing, to allow the cream cheese layer to set up. I like to keep this bread in the fridge!