These Salted Dark Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites are the perfect any-time-of-day no-bake treat! The dough is made with almond flour, melted butter for richness, cashew butter, brown sugar for that caramel cookie flavor, almond milk, vanilla, salt, and mini chocolate chips! The best part: they’re coated in melted dark chocolate, and sprinkled with flaky salt for the ultimate sweet & salty dessert!
(This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you SO much for reading and supporting the brands I love!)
When I think about recipes I want to share in September, I’m always torn between easy, back-to-school recipes, and the beginning of fall type recipes. Today, these salted dark chocolate cookie dough bites won, because they’re incredibly good, easy, kid-friendly, and who doesn’t want to eat cookie dough disguised as a salty chocolate covered truffle?! Bottom line? They’re AMAZING.
A few things about these cookie dough bites:
They take minutes to make, and they’re pretty much exclusively made in one bowl, minus having to melt the chocolate to coat them with!
I love keeping them in the fridge, because there’s something about cold chocolate that is just so good!
The other wonderful part about these, is that they’re made with almond flour, so they’re gluten free, and you’re getting a little extra nutrition from the almonds! The only almond flour I use in my kitchen is from Bob’s Red Mill. Their Super Fine Almond Flour made from blanched, whole almonds is my favorite, because it’s super versatile, and it’s a great blank canvas for any kind of gluten or grain-free baking. Or in this case, no-bake treat making! The quality is unmatched, and like I said, it’s super nutritious too! But don’t worry, I kind of make up for that in other ways – i.e. butter, sugar, etc. 🙂
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these salted dark chocolate cookie dough bites:
- Almond flour: My favorite is Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour!
- Salted butter: I love using salted butter in cookie dough because it really helps to bring out all of the flavors and balance the sweetness.
- Cashew butter: This adds creaminess and helps to bring the dough together. I think the cashew flavor lends itself really well to creating a “cookie dough” flavor, but any natural, drippy nut butter will work here.
- Brown sugar: Can’t have cookie dough without brown sugar! This creates the caramelly, deep flavor we all love in cookie dough.
- Almond milk: Loosens the dough a little bit – you can use any milk of your choosing!
- Vanilla extract: Again, can’t have cookie dough without vanilla.
- Salt: We need it to bring out the flavors and balance the sweetness!
- Mini chocolate chips: I like to use semisweet chips here, but you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate too!
And then for the coating, all you need is dark chocolate, coconut oil, and flaky sea salt!
I would be fine just eating the dough just like this, honestly.
Since this cookie dough is egg-free, you could totally keep it in the fridge like this, and just eat the cookie dough straight when you need a little treat! But I will say, a little extra coating of chocolate and salt never hurt anyone.
Can you make these cookie dough bites ahead of time?
Yes, you absolutely can, and they actually keep really well in the fridge and freezer! I like to keep them in the fridge, and they’ll last up to two weeks there. In the freezer, they’ll last 3-4 months.
You can freeze the cookie dough balls themselves, or make the entire bites, chocolate-coated-and-all, and freeze those. Totally up to you! They come together super quickly too, so if you need to make them last-minute, they don’t take very much time at all!
Here’s a quick run-down on how you make them!
- Combine all of your ingredients (minus the dark chocolate, coconut oil, and flaky salt!) in a bowl, and mix it up until combined. That’s it! You have your cookie dough.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop uniform balls of dough, and roll them with your hands to smooth them out into little “bites”. You can make them as small or as large as you’d like!
- Stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes to set. In the meantime, chop your dark chocolate, add your coconut oil, and microwave in 30-second increments until melted.
- Dip your bites! Use a fork for easy dipping, and let the excess chocolate drip through the tines of the fork – much easier than using a spoon!
- Sprinkle immediately with flaky salt! The chocolate will set up quickly because the bites will be cold. Stick them in the freezer again until they’re set, and voila! Salted dark chocolate cookie dough bites.
- And that’s it! If you want to make the cute design like I did with some of these bites, put the bites in the freezer for a few minutes to set up after you dip them, then drizzle them with chocolate, and then add the flaky salt. Takes a little extra time, but they’re super pretty!
They taste just like cookie dough, and you’d never ever know they were gluten free, made with almond flour, and pack a little more nutrition than your average cookie dough. The perfect after school snack, lunch dessert, regular dessert, afternoon pick-me-up, or dare I say, breakfast with a cup of coffee.
The best little treat!
Don’t forget to share a photo on Instagram and tag me @spicesinmydna if you make this recipe! Nothing makes me happier than seeing what you create in the kitchen!
Salted Dark Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites
These Salted Dark Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites are the perfect any-time-of-day no-bake treat! The dough is made with almond flour, melted butter for richness, cashew butter, brown sugar for that caramel cookie flavor, almond milk, vanilla, salt, and mini chocolate chips! The best part: they're coated in melted dark chocolate, and sprinkled with flaky salt for the ultimate sweet & salty dessert!
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
To a medium mixing bowl, add the almond flour, melted butter, cashew butter, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well combined and all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined. Using a cookie scoop (I like a 1.5 tablespoon sized scoop), scoop the dough and roll into balls. Place the cookie dough balls in the freezer for 30 minutes to set up.
While the cookie dough balls are chilling, melt the chocolate. Add chopped chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments until melted (mine usually takes about 1 minute 30 seconds), stirring between each.
Once dough balls have chilled, using a fork, dip in the melted chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip off. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet or plate, and sprinkle immediately with flaky salt (the chocolate will set up quickly since the bites are cold!). Place bites in the freezer for another 30 minutes or so to set up. I like to keep these in the fridge, but they can be kept at room temperature too!
*Bites will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, and in the freezer for 3-4 months!