If you’re into heartier salads, this one’s for you. This recipe would be especially good with some grilled salmon or chicken on top. I have a serious thing for caramelized fennel. I often just eat it plain roasted..it’s SO good! The parsnips at the farmers market have been gorgeous lately too. They add such a great flavor and texture to the salad. I also love the bitter taste of broccoli rabe, so if you’re into that you’ll LOVE this, and if not, feel free to sub more kale or broccolini!
Warm Kale Salad with Broccoli Rabe, Caramelized Fennel, Roasted Parsnips + Lemon Rosemary Vinaigrette
- For the dressing:
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. champagne vinegar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- For the salad:
- 5 large parsnips (cut into 1/2'' cubes)
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1 head Tuscan/lacinato kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 1'' pieces
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds, toasted (I toast mine on med/low heat in a dry skillet for a few minutes until golden)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Add parsnips, 1 T. olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to baking sheet. Toss to coat. On a separate baking sheet (or same if you can fit it), add fennel, 1 T. olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place both baking sheets in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until caramelized and golden, tossing occasionally.
- Make the dressing. Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a small skillet over medium/high heat. Add chopped shallot and sauté for 5 minutes or so, stirring frequently until caramelized and golden. Let cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together shallot, rosemary, dijon, lemon juice and zest, champagne vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- While parsnips and fennel are roasting, heat 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add broccoli rabe and sauté for a minute or two, then add the kale and sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Stir in a tablespoon or two of the dressing, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, top kale and broccoli rabe with roasted parsnips, fennel, and toasted almonds. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Add a squeeze of lemon too, if desired!