You will not believe these pancakes are on the healthier side. I took a bite and was shocked at how incredible they tasted. They have the most perfect amount of sweetness, lemony flavor, and fluffiness. There’s no butter, oil, or refined sugar in these! Completely sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. They seriously taste like cake.
I am a huge lover of pancakes, even though I am usually a savory breakfast girl. If I’m feeling sweet, you can definitely count on me going with pancakes over french toast or waffles. These are my new fave.
During the week, I usually have some sort of egg white omelette with veggies or avocado toast for breakfast. Or, I’ll make protein pancakes with egg whites, greek yogurt, oats, and banana. Something filling for post-workout, and protein packed to start my day since I’m an early morning exerciser.
These though, are the perfect weekend treat. And you won’t go into a huge carb/sugar coma after eating them.
I used whole wheat pastry flour and almond meal as the base, then added ricotta, egg, and almond milk for moisture. There’s just 1/4 cup of maple syrup in the whole batch and you’d never know. The lemon zest and vanilla extract in the batter create this magical flavor. Cake, I tell you.
THE COMPOTE. How could I forget. It’s just blackberries, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla. So much better than plain ol’ maple syrup. Which I do love, but here, you get the best of both worlds! This compote would be insanely delicious on Greek yogurt or ice cream too.
Whole Wheat Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blackberry Compote
- For the PANCAKES:
- 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat flour; this is a finer, lighter version)
- 1/3 c. almond meal
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T. lemon zest (from about 2-3 lemons)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 c. ricotta
- 1/2 c. + 2 T. almond milk
- cooking spray
- toasted almonds, for topping
- For the COMPOTE:
- 1/2 c. blackberries
- 2 T. water
- 2 T. maple syrup
- juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine whole wheat pastry flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Next, add the ricotta and whisk to combine. Last, whisk in the almond milk until mixture is thoroughly combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, folding together with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined.
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and spray liberally with cooking spray. Drop pancake batter by the 1/4 cup onto the pan or griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until bubbles start to form at the top and the underside is golden.
Repeat until all the batter is gone. In the meantime, in a medium saucepan or pot, bring the blackberries, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium and simmer for 5-7 minutes, mashing the blackberries with a fork to help them break down. Cool slightly.
- To serve, top pancakes with compote and extra maple syrup if desired. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and devour!
*Nutrition information calculated without compote.