These brownies are the best combo of sweet and salty. One of my favorite combos in the whole world. They definitely don’t scream bacon. Just the tiniest amount of salty and savory to compliment the chocolatey flavor. You might be thinking “What?! Bacon in brownies…?” But trust me on this one. Not as weird as it sounds.
I’m usually a super fudgy brownie person, but these are more on the cakey side. If they were fudgy, they’d be too rich paired with the bacon. Cakey brownies in this instance just works.
The fact that there’s dark chocolate chips AND chocolate drizzle makes my dark chocolate loving soul so happy. There’s no other way to go!
Another bonus: these are paleo! They’re completely flourless, and made with almond butter, coconut sugar, eggs, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. And a little espresso powder because I add it to ALL of my chocolate baked goods. It brings out that chocolatey flavor we all know and love.
I used my favorite paleo bacon here too. It’s free of sugar and weird additives and it tastes better than any bacon I’ve ever had. This is not sponsored by the way, I just really love the stuff!
If you love the sweet and savory/salty combo like I do, you will LOVE these.
- 2 slices bacon (I use a paleo variety with no added sugar, Pederson's brand)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond butter
- 2 teaspoons bacon fat (from cooking the bacon)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free to keep paleo..I use Enjoy Life brand)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped, for melting (dairy free to keep paleo)
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high heat. Cook the bacon until crispy. Reserve two teaspoons of the bacon fat for the brownies. Set aside. Set the bacon on paper towels to drain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut sugar until combined. Add the almond butter, bacon fat, coconut oil, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add batter to pan and smooth out with a rubber spatula. Chop bacon into small pieces, sprinkle on top, and bake for 18-20 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted. Mine took about 1 minute.
- Drizzle on brownies and set aside until completely cooled. These brownies are delicate when warm. Once cooled, slice and devour!