If I could describe summer in a salad, this would be it! What’s more summery than gorgeous heirlooms, juicy watermelon, the simplest of herb vinaigrettes? This salad takes virtually no time to put together. Who wants to spend all day in a hot kitchen in August? Not I.
As soon as I saw these beauties at the store the other day, I knew I had to make something with them. I can’t believe this is the first time this summer I’ve used heirlooms. I’m usually all over them! I don’t know if my grocery store is just starting to get them in or what..but I’m ready to make all the things! I actually have another recipe with them coming on Friday 🙂
This flavor combination could not be simpler. It’s SO fresh and SO good! The herb vinaigrette consists of basil, tarragon, and oregano, honey, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Incredibly delicious and you can use it for just about anything!
I’ve also had a thing for using feta in watermelon salads in the past, but haven’t made one in a while! The popular way to make it is with feta and mint, so I’ve made that a bunch of times, and also another version with arugula! SO good and refreshing for when you’re sweating your face off in the dog days of summer.
I haven’t spent nearly as much time outside as I would’ve liked to this summer. I feel like I’ve been working nonstop! My goal for August and September is to get outside as much as humanly possible and enjoy these beautiful days. I challenge you to do the same!
And I challenge you to make this salad too. It’s perfect to bring to parties or cookouts, and it’s different enough you don’t have to worry about there being repeats! Who has been to a potluck or cookout where there’s approximately 45 versions of potato salad and pasta salad and baked beans? Not hating on annnny of those at all. I love them all! But this girl loves some variety.
P.S. I made this with some marinated grilled chicken and it was absolutely delish!
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced ½'' thick
- ¼ of a baby watermelon, sliced into small wedges
- ¼ of a medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil + extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Make the dressing. Combine the white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, basil, tarragon, oregano, and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Arrange heirloom tomato slices and watermelon wedges on a platter. Sprinkle with the red onion and feta, and drizzle with desired amount of herb vinaigrette. Top with extra chopped fresh basil and serve with extra dressing.