If I could eat one chili for the rest of forever, this would be it. Don’t get me wrong, I do love white bean chicken chili, pulled pork chili, and whatever other fancy black bean butternut squash pumpkin chilis are out there these days. But for me, nothing will ever beat the super classic beef and bean chili. With alllll the regular toppings. Who’s with me?
Especially when it involves maximum flavor and minimal work. As in, the slow cooker MAKES this for you. Just a few minutes of sautéing, and that’s it my friends. Leave it alone to cook and thicken into the most delicious chili for seven or eight hours on low, and you will be the happiest person.
A few reasons why I love this chili. The texture, the toppings, and the richness from cooking all day. The texture is out of this world amazing from the beef, and the three different beans! I used kidney beans, cannellini beans, AND black beans. So this is loaded with protein too.
The toppings are always my favorite part. Sour cream, cheddar, cilantro, and scallions are always a must, and avocado too! And crushed tortilla chips because I always gotta have crunch. The richness from this chili is INSANE. The tomato flavor and sauce gets SO thick and concentrated you won’t believe it. It’s incredible.
This reminds me of the chili my mom made for us growing up. It was always so basic in the best way. Made with beans, beef, and tomato sauce. Topped with sour cream and cheese. That’s it. And probably made with the chili seasoning packet we were all familiar with in the 90s. It just tasted so amazing, and this is my version of that basic chili.
It seriously warms my soul in so many ways. All I have to say is, you have to make this! I know it will become a regular in your home once you see how simple and crazy delicious it is!
This is going to be on repeat all fall and winter long!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream for serving
- shredded cheddar for serving
- chopped cilantro for serving
- chopped scallions for serving
- tortilla chips for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the bell pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, smoked paprika, and salt and sauté for 6-7 minutes or until beef is cooked through.
- Add mixture to your slow cooker along with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, cannellini beans, and black beans. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. You will know it's finished when the chili is very thick and concentrated. I've even cooked mine for longer on low. Season to taste with additional salt if desired.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, chopped cilantro, scallions, and crushed tortilla chips!