Things I can’t get enough of: pomegranates + apple cider + apples + butternut squash + nutmeg/clove/everyfallspice. I swear I wait all year for these ingredients. SO, naturally, I put them all into a salad! This has to be in my top 3 favorite dishes I’ve made this season so far. And I’ve made A LOT of things. Also, can we just take a minute to acknowledge how gorgeous this is?!
This dressing is unreal. Reduced. apple. cider.
Gotta have crunch, always.
Black Rice Butternut Arugula Salad with Pomegranate + Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- For the salad:
- 1 c. black rice (about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 1/4 lbs. butternut squash, cut into 1/2'' cubes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 T. pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 c. pomegranate arils
- 5 c. baby arugula
- 1/4 c. chopped flat leaf parsley
- For the dressing:
- 1 c. apple cider, reduced to 3 T. (see directions)
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- pinch of red pepper flake
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/3 c. olive oil
Preheat oven to 425℉. Prepare rice according to package directions. Add squash to a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Add cinnamon, clove, allspice, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast for 25 min, stirring once, until tender and golden.
- While squash is roasting, reduce the cider. In a small saucepan, bring cider to boil, then reduce to med/low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it is about 3 tablespoons. Let cool.
- To make dressing, add reduced cooled cider, apple cider vinegar, nutmeg, thyme, red pepper flake, dijon, garlic, and olive oil to a jar and shake until combined.
- To assemble salad, add cooled rice, arugula, and butternut to a large bowl. Drizzle with some of the dressing, maybe a third, and toss. Add the pomegranate and toasted pumpkin seeds and toss again. Top with chopped parsley and serve with extra dressing.