You can never have enough chili recipes, right? Especially this time of year. Football and
chili nights (I honestly just typed chili instead of chilly, no my humor isn’t that bad) just call for big bowls of comfort food goodness. And you can totally make this in the crockpot too if you’re short on time! It’s also very healthy. You’d never know because there is SO much flavor from the four types of peppers that are in it. It’s protein packed too. Makes for awesome leftovers! Basically I have so many reasons why you should make this but I’ll just stop there and get to the recipe..
Necessary chili toppings always.
Green Chile Turkey Quinoa Chili
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey (I used 99% lean)
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 quart + 1 (14 oz.) can chicken stock
- 1/2 c. quinoa
- 1/4 c. half and half
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- shredded monterey jack cheese, for topping
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, for topping
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat with 2 T. olive oil. Add green bell pepper, poblano pepper, serrano pepper, garlic, and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 7-10 minutes or until softened.
- Add ground turkey, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and oregano. Increase heat to high and cook for 5 minutes. Add beans, can of green chiles, chicken stock, and quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low and cook for 15 minutes, covered.
Remove lid and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in half and half, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro and half of the scallions. Portion into bowls and top with remaining cilantro, scallions, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and cheese.
If you want to make this in the crockpot, brown the turkey first, then add everything into the crockpot except for the toppings and half and half. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3. Stir in half and half when finished and top with toppings.