Easy summer apps are one of my favorite things. I absolutely LOVE having light “snacky” dinners when it’s hot out and when there’s so much beautiful produce. I am also loving this idea of a CHICKPEA FLOUR FLATBREAD. It has the most wonderful cracker-like texture, it’s gluten free, and super light. It doesn’t weigh you down like a normal pizza crust, and it’s only 3 ingredients! Feel free to use your favorite crumbly cheese in this recipe. I’m weird and I have a strong dislike for goat cheese (it tastes so strong and foul to me), but it would probably be delicious on this flatbread and so would blue cheese. I can’t get enough of these cherries! They’ll keep getting better as summer goes on and I couldn’t be more EXCITED.
If you’ve never cooked with chickpea flour, it’s super versatile, full of protein, and it doesn’t taste like beans. Even though I do love beans haha. I’ve made banana bread with it and it’s wonderful.
I lightly seasoned the flatbread dough with a little garlic powder, dried thyme, sea salt, and pepper. You could totally add rosemary or oregano or whatever you like! This dough recipe is becoming a new favorite. I am going to keep playing around with it to make new flatbreads! Stay tuned.
This would be such a fun and impressive app to serve alongside a cheeseboard and some wine for your next get together. A HUGE bonus is that it comes together in a little over 30 minutes. You could also make and bake the flatbread ahead of time, and then add the cheeses, cherries, and arugula when ready to serve!
Chickpea Flour Flatbread with Cherries, Honey Ricotta, Feta, and Arugula (gf)
- For the DOUGH:
- 1 cup chickpea flour (plus additional for dusting)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 c. warm water
- For the FLATBREAD:
- 1/3 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 T. honey
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, pitted and sliced
- 3 T. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- handful of arugula, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400℉. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, garlic powder, dried thyme, sea salt, and pepper until combined. Add the olive oil and mix with your hands until crumbly. Slowly add in water and knead into a ball using your hands. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust a rolling surface and rolling pin liberally with chickpea flour (the dough is pretty sticky). Roll out dough into a rectangular shape, about 1/8'' thick. The rectangle should roughly be 6.5''x10''.
- Transfer dough to a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
While dough is cooling, mix the ricotta, honey, and a pinch of sea salt together until smooth. Once dough has cooled, spread the honeyed ricotta on the flatbread, then add the sliced cherries, the feta, and arugula. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and finish with freshly ground black pepper. Cut into slices and devour!
This recipe is inspired by a cherry flatbread I saw in Costco Connection magazine.
It really can’t get much better than this.
Tell me what are some of your favorite summery appetizers?!
Leave a Reply