In other words, the only way I want to eat chicken ever again. I CANNOT get over how good this is. I mean, what’s not to love? Juicy chicken marinated in freshly squeezed orange juice, honey, and chipotle in adobo sauce, then topped with an avocado salsa filled with peaches, pluots (my new favorite thing..a cross between a plum and an apricot!), red onion, lime juice, and flaky sea salt. Serious summer dream meal right here.
How freaking gorgeous are the pluots?! They’re so hot pink and beautiful. I love the creamy avocado mixed with the sweetness of the stone fruits. Perfection.
I marinated the chicken for two hours, but if you have time, the longer the better. It should sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes.
This meal would be absolutely perfect for a Labor Day weekend cookout or even a healthy weeknight meal. Serve it with a huge salad or some rice or quinoa for extra staying power!
Also, this salsa needs to go on everything from now on. I know we’ve talked about the fruit in salad thing, but I’ve learned fruit in salsa is another one of those sensitive combinations for people. I LOVE both…what better way to use summer produce?
If you’re not a fruit in salsa lover, I’ll forgive you (maybe). You could sub chunks of heirloom tomato or whatever other summer veg you like.
- For the CHICKEN:
- 1¾ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 breasts)
- zest of half a large orange
- juice of 1 large orange
- 2 T. honey
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 3 T. sauce from a can of chipotle in adobo peppers
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- For the SALSA:
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 pluot or plum, diced
- 2 T. red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- lime and orange wedges for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, chipotle in adobo sauce, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place chicken breasts in marinade and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better..several hours would be great!
- To make the salsa, combine the diced avocado, peach, and pluot in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, red onion, and salt and stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- When ready to grill the chicken, preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are. Serve with the salsa, and garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, and orange wedges!