This salad is filled with good-for-you ingredients and it’s super fresh and summery! Not to mention delicious…it comes together very quickly, and it holds up well so it’s perfect to bring to cookouts or to pack for lunches. The leafy kale stands up to the creamy dressing, and won’t wilt if you dress it beforehand. I think it tastes better if it marinates for a bit. If you aren’t a health nut/kale fan like me, I totally understand. Feel free to use your greens of choice! This is a recipe you can feel awesome about eating. Perfect summer food!
How gorgeous? You’ll feel automatically healthier after eating this bowl of goodness.
The citrus in here is so refreshing. Fruit in salads is so underrated.
You can use this dressing as a dip for chicken, or drizzle it over burrito bowls. It’s really good on anything to be honest!
Superfood Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- For the salad:
- 3/4 of a large bunch of kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 navel orange, peeled, segmented, and sliced into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
- 1 T. hemp seeds
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- For the dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 2 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. cilantro
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl and add lime juice and a pinch of salt. Massage kale with your fingers until it reduces in volume, a couple minutes. This helps break down the fibers a bit and makes it easier to eat.
- Make the dressing. Add avocado, garlic, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, cilantro, and olive oil to a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add orange, peppers, sunflower seeds, and hemp to the kale, and toss. Add dressing and toss until thoroughly coated. If you want to make individual portions and keep throughout the week, keep all ingredients separate and toss together when ready to eat!