I don’t often make real deal carbonara. But when I do, it’s such a treat. But sometimes, you just wanna have a pasta dish that’s on the healthier side, but feels indulgent. This is for you my friends. And it’s SO easy!
It’s total healthy comfort food. The sauce is creamy, but light, and I absolutely love the bite of the zucchini noodles with the creamy sauce. And, bacon, of course. How can you go wrong?
This honestly comes together in minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight meal after a long work day, when you just don’t have time or energy to think about what’s for dinner.
Isn’t carbonara just the best?! I can’t believe what a creamy result eggs and parm yield when tossed with hot noodles.
A suuuuper old recipe on the blog is this brussels and bacon carbonara. Such an oldie but goodie!
That one is the real deal though. Pasta, eggs, tons and tons of parm, a little cream, bacon, and brussels. The best kind of comfort food!
Craving this tonight with a big glass of pinot noir!
- 2 medium/large zucchinis, spiralized
- ½ cup finely diced red onion or yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly cracked black pepper
- extra parmesan for serving
- Begin by layering the zucchini noodles between paper towels to drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolk, parmesan, and a few cracks of black pepper until smooth.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium/high heat and add the bacon. Cook for 5-6 minutes until bacon is crispy and brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the zucchini noodles and raise to medium/high heat. Add a few cracks of black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until zucchini noodles are warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and quickly add the egg mixture, stirring and tossing the noodles in the sauce very quickly to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Toss for about 2 minutes until the creamy sauce forms.
- Add half of the bacon back in and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with remaining bacon. Serve with extra parm!