There’s something so comforting and special about short ribs. They remind me of chilly weather, cozy fires, and the holidays. They’re one of those meals (at least for me) that you don’t cook often..they’re usually reserved for special occasions. I’m here to change that!
This sauce is SO easy and full of flavor. It feels fancy, but it’s as simple as throwing everything into a pot. You just quickly sear the short ribs, and throw all of the ingredients into the crockpot overnight. And voilà! A comforting meal, with next to no effort. Waking up to the smell of short ribs simmering in tomato sauce, herbs, and garlic isn’t too bad either.
Another thing I love. Butternut squash noodles. I actually prefer them to zucchini noodles. Don’t get me wrong, I do love me some zucchini noodles and eat them pretty often, but the butternut squash noodles have so much flavor and more of a bite. They don’t get watery either. I bake them for a few minutes in the often until they’re just “al dente”, but you can sauté them in a skillet too!
If you aren’t a spiralized veggie fan like me, you can make this with regular pasta of course. I’d highly recommend trying the spiralized butternut though. It’s such a great way to lower the carb count and pack more veggies and nutrients into your meals.
I think the butternut squash compliments the beef SO well. The almost sweet butternut squash cuts the richness of the sauce.
So. I added red wine to the sauce. Don’t skip this step. Adding red wine to beef dishes is magical.
This is a great meal to make for guests. It makes a lot, and the sauce freezes well too. There’s nothing like having cozy meals in the freezer when you aren’t in the mood to cook!
Crockpot Short Rib Sauce with Butternut Squash Noodles
- 3 pounds short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large butternut squash, spiralized
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parm for serving
- fresh basil for serving
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium/high heat. Liberally season the short ribs with salt and pepper and sear on all sides until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add short ribs, garlic, onion, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, oregano, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes to crock pot. Cook for 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 on low.
- Once sauce is finished, remove short ribs, discard bones, and shred the beef. Add the shredded beef back into crockpot and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment and add butternut squash noodles. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 10 minutes until just "al dente". Serve with the sauce, fresh parm, and basil.