This Fluffy Egg Sandwich with Garlic Aioli features a toasted ciabatta roll, a delicious garlicky aioli loaded with fresh herbs, & the dreamiest custardy scrambled eggs. It’s based off of a breakfast sandwich I used to order at a coffee shop in downtown Detroit, which unfortunately closed a few years ago. This is my at-home version and is every bit as perfect!
There’s something about a really good breakfast sandwich. Equal parts comforting, savory, satisfying, and joy-inducing. Especially when paired with the perfect iced coffee. This fluffy egg sandwich is based off of my all-time favorite breakfast sandwich from a coffee shop in downtown Detroit that closed a few years ago. I ordered this sandwich every time, with an iced mocha. They used the BEST quality chocolate for their mochas and I can still taste it to this day. This egg sandwich, an iced mocha, and a few of their incredible pastries was how I loved spending my Saturday mornings.
It all begins with fluffy, perfectly cooked, custardy scrambled eggs.
We all have our methods for making scrambled eggs, but this one is tough to beat. It’s all about beating the eggs vigorously, then cooking them in plenty of butter on low heat, stirring just enough to keep the “curds” large and breakfast-sandwich friendly.
These scrambled eggs are almost custardy – I can’t even describe how delicious they are! Almost like soufflé eggs. So, so good.
The other components of this delectable egg sandwich are:
- toasted ciabatta rolls
- and the best garlicky herb aioli!
The aioli is simple and delicious – a combination of mayo, lemon, garlic, rosemary, chives, flat-leaf parsley, salt, and pepper. It’s a good way to use up the herbs in your garden this summer!
It’s also a delicious dip for fries. But what isn’t?!
Here’s a quick rundown of exactly how to make these egg sandwiches.
- Make your aioli. In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Season to taste with additional lemon, salt, and pepper if needed. Feel free to switch up the herb combination if you wish! I will say however, the rosemary is really unique and amazing here.
- Whisk up your eggs. Crack the eggs in a medium mixing bowl, and whisk really well for about a minute. This adds air into the eggs and helps make them extra fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook your eggs. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the eggs and let the edges coagulate before gently stirring. Stir the eggs one or two more times, keeping the “curds” large. Remove from heat once they are just set. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast your ciabatta rolls. I like to toast mine in the oven, but toaster works just fine too!
- Assemble. A good smear of aioli on both sides, and a nice, healthy heap of scrambled eggs. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy warm!
This fluffy egg sandwich is a prime example of the simplest of foods being the best.
They are a MUST make.
If you love this recipe, you’ll also love:
Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Lemon Asparagus, and Fried Egg
Warm Artichoke Bruschetta
Mortadella and Stracciatella Sandwich with Arugula Pistachio Pesto
Fig Olive Rosemary Whole Wheat Focaccia
Jalapeño Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs and Avocado Cilantro Sauce
Crispy Plantain and Egg Breakfast Bowls with Avocado Chimichurri
Bacon, Egg, and Kimchi Tacos
Burrata Toast with Caramelized Peaches
And don’t forget to share a photo on Instagram and tag me @spicesinmydna if you make this recipe! Nothing makes me happier than seeing what you create in the kitchen!
Fluffy Egg Sandwich with Garlic Herb Aioli
This Fluffy Egg Sandwich with Garlic Aioli features a toasted ciabatta roll, a delicious garlicky aioli loaded with fresh herbs, & the dreamiest custardy scrambled eggs. It's based off of a breakfast sandwich I used to order at a coffee shop in downtown Detroit, which unfortunately closed a few years ago. This is my at-home version and is every bit as perfect!
For the garlic herb aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the egg sandwiches
- 5 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 ciabatta rolls, sliced and toasted
Begin by making the aioli. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon, garlic, chives, rosemary, flat leaf parsley, salt, and pepper. Season to taste with additional lemon, salt, and pepper if needed. Set aside.
Crack the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously for about 1 minute. This adds plenty of air into the eggs and helps yield super fluffy eggs! Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the eggs and let sit until the edges start to coagulate. Stir gently and let sit for a few more minutes. Do this a couple more times, keeping the eggs as intact as possible, cooking until they are just set. Remove from heat.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread the aioli generously on both sides of the warm, toasted ciabatta rolls. Top with scrambled eggs and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy sandwiches warm.
*Extra aioli keeps well in the fridge for several days and makes a great dip for fries!