Margaritas have always been my drink of choice. I don’t drink often, but when I do, it’s usually a full bodied red wine, a margarita, or the occasional IPA. In the summer it’s so much fun to make mixed drinks, especially when entertaining. I made these on my annual family vacation for 20+ people and they were a HUGE hit. I knew I had to share the recipe once I tasted them. They’re SO delicious and different from your classic marg. The sweet and spicy combination mixed with the tart lime is amazing and unexpected.
The other amazing thing about these is the salty chili sugar rim. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of salt on my margs. I usually get light, or no salt. But with these, the sugar and chili added to the salt is suuuuch a good combination. The warm heat mixed with the sweetness is perfection.
The jalapeño adds just the right amount of heat. I added 2-3 jalapeño slices to each drink, but if you just want to add one, you can. Taste and adjust according to your taste!
These would be absolutely perfect served alongside tons of chips and guac (of course) and tacos/enchiladas/any mexican/tex-mex food. I could seriously eat and drink that combination evvvvery single day. I served these with this awesome chili lime flank steak and a chipotle sweet potato dish. SO delicious.
Mango Jalapeño Margaritas with Salty Chili Sugar
- 1 1/2 oz. silver tequila
- 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
- 1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. mango simple syrup
- 2-3 slices jalapeño
- a few chunks fresh mango
- slice of lime
- For the MANGO SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 large mango, diced
- For the RIM:
- 2 T. coarse salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Begin by making the simple syrup. Bring sugar and water to a boil. One boiling, remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, add mango and simple syrup to a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- To make the salty chili sugar, combine coarse salt, sugar, and chili powder in a small bowl or plate and stir. Use a lime wedge to moisten the edge of the glass, then rim in the salty sugar. Fill glass with ice.
- Add tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and mango simple syrup to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for 15 seconds, then add to glass. Stir in jalapeño slices, mango, and a slice of lime. Drink up!
Remember to hashtag #spicesinmydna if you make these! I always LOVE seeing your creations!