Have you heard of this new sweet potato toast trend?! It’s popping up all over the place. I was intrigued by the idea since I LOVE toast and LOVE sweet potatoes. And of course I had to make it into an avocado toast variation, because it’s one of my favorite meals in the whole world. I will never tire of it. (Haha I know how basic that sounds). This is such a perfect light lunch or dinner–or even brunch if you add a poached egg on top! The chickpea salad is also FANTASTIC by itself and keeps in the fridge for several days.
These also make a perfect party appetizer that’s super unique and you can easily double the recipe or more to suit your needs! I don’t know about you but I tend to make similar appetizers for entertaining, and I’m always trying to think of new ideas.
I am always doing a cheeseboard with fruit and nuts and various spreads/mustards, some type of crostini or bruschetta-esque thing, this marinated shrimp recipe my mom and I make, and maybe some type of dip/veggie/or hummus situation. This switches things up and it’s super healthy too!
You get tonnnnns of vitamins from the sweet potatoes, good carbs, protein from the chickpeas, and healthy fats from the avocado. Perfectly balanced and leaves room for the feta! Because cheese is a necessity in life.
You can make the chickpea salad in advance and it gets even better because the flavors marry. You can also bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time, and slice + toast them when you’re ready to serve!
I tend to roast/bake a bunch of sweet potatoes on the weekend to have during the week. Sometimes I eat them for breakfast with sautéed spinach, egg whites + avocado, with yogurt and nut butter, cut up in salads for lunch, or as a side for dinner. I even stuff them sometimes like I’m making a taco or fajita with sautéed peppers and onions, grilled chicken, taco meat, avocado, cilantro, you name it. Super filling too. Try it!
Sweet Potato Avocado Toast with Lemon Basil Chickpea Salad
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. chopped cucumber
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. feta
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- salt and pepper
- extra feta, basil, and freshly squeezed lemon juice for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork 5-6 times and place on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. You want them to be on the firmer side.
- While potatoes are baking, make the chickpea salad. Add chickpeas, cucumber, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and zest, thyme, and olive oil in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Stir in feta and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let chill in fridge while the potatoes finish baking and cooling.
Once potatoes are finished baking, cool for 15-20 minutes. Slice potatoes into 1/4'' slices, then toast in the toaster oven or toaster. I put mine through a couple of cycles. Top sweet potato "toast" with avocado, then the chickpea salad, then an extra squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of feta and basil.
My new favorite thing.
Do you guys love toast and avocados as much as me?