These might be the fudgiest, most delicious brownies I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a lot of brownies. They’re definitely my dessert of choice. I’ll choose them over freshly baked cookies, cake, pie, you name it. I can’t help it! They’re just too good. These are FLOURLESS and made from ground up hazelnuts and dark chocolate. Then drizzled with more dark chocolate. So rich and decadent. There’s really no other way to describe them!
They’re almost like a nutella brownie without the nutella. They’re just pure hazelnut meal and pure chocolate. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner…
A few years ago, I started making brownies from scratch. I used to be a solely-boxed-brownies kind of girl, but they’re something so amazing about making them from scratch. And SO easy! It’s totally worth it. And these are only 9 ingredients!
I’m still not gonna discriminate against the boxed stuff though.
My other secret for the best ever homemade brownies is to add a little espresso powder. It’s seriously magical. It brings out the chocolate flavor without tasting like coffee at all. Not that tasting like coffee is ever a bad thing..It’s a must! I did it with these too.
It’s sometimes tough to find hazelnut meal in stores, so I just made my own! All you have to do is grind up hazelnuts in a food processor until they resemble a flour!
You could sub almond meal in this, I personally just love the chocolate and hazelnut combo. You know those crunchy hazelnut chocolate ball truffles wrapped in foil? Those were my favorite growing up. So gosh darn addicting.
As are these brownies. The perfect holiday treat!
Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies
- 1 1/4 cups hazelnut meal (hazelnuts ground into a flour in the food processor + 1/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped + 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted (for drizzling) (I used 77% cacao)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a 8x8 square baking dish with parchment or foil. Set aside.
- Combine hazelnut meal, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heating in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Mine took about 1 1/2 minutes total. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together butter and chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add hazelnut mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes or until edges are firm and center is still slightly loose. These are very delicate when warm.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting. I let mine cool overnight! Once cooled, drizzle with remaining chocolate and serve!