(This post is sponsored by Clearly Kombucha! Thank you so so much for reading and supporting the brands that I love!)
It’s Cinco de Mayo and I’m celebrating with my favorite drink on the planet! If you know me well, you know that I am a hardcore lover of margaritas. I don’t drink too often, but when I do, my choice is almost always red wine or a marg! I am LOVING this flavor I dreamed up. It’s inspired by one of my favorite Clearly Kombucha flavors..strawberry hibiscus! Oh my gosh you guys, it’s SO good.
If you’ve never tried the lovely beverage that is kombucha, you’re missing out. It’s a fermented tea with a ton of probiotics and it’s really good for your gut health! I love it because it gives me a little caffeine boost, and it’s SUPER delicious. I also love anything fizzy.
I KNEW I had to add it to my favorite cocktail. While I do love a classic margarita, I love all the crazy flavors even more. Hence, the strawberry hibiscus kombucha margarita was born! And to make it even more fun, I added a salty vanilla bean sugar rim! I cannnnnot get enough of that stuff. Ever since I started rimming my margs with it a few months ago, I am a total convert.
If you’re wondering, where the heck do I get hibiscus flowers?!..you can order them online. I actually got them here. They give the most beautiful color and light floral essence to these cocktails. So in love!
To infuse the cocktails with that beautiful hibiscus essence, I used the strawberry hibiscus Clearly Kombucha of course, and I made a strawberry hibiscus simple syrup!
All you have to do is boil sugar and water with some of the dried hibiscus flowers, let it cool and then strain it, purée some strawberries, and mix them together! And there you have it, strawberry hibiscus syrup! It would probably be delicious added to just about any drink.
Including lemonade! Ahhhh all I can do is dream about summer. These will be happening on repeat!
I also created a super fun video for you guys.
If these aren’t part of your happy hour plans tonight, they definitely should be. 🙂
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- For the MARGARITAS:
- 1½ ounces tequila
- ½ ounce Grand Marnier
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce strawberry hibiscus simple syrup
- 2-3 ounces Strawberry Hibiscus Clearly Kombucha
- crushed ice
- sliced strawberries for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- For the SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- For the VANILLA BEAN SALTY SUGAR:
- 2 tablespoons coarse margarita salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Begin by making the simple syrup. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, add the sugar and hibiscus flowers and continue to boil for about 30 seconds, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Once syrup has cooled, strain or remove flowers and discard. Add the syrup to a blender with the sliced strawberries and purée until smooth.
- To make the salty sugar, stir together the sugar, salt, and vanilla bean seeds. I like to massage the mixture using my fingers, to really make sure the vanilla bean seeds are infused and combined thoroughly.
- To make the cocktail, moisten the edge of your glass with a lime wedge and rim in the salty sugar. Fill with crushed ice. Add ice to a cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and strawberry hibiscus simple syrup. Shake for 30 seconds and then pour into glass. Top with 2-3 ounces of the kombucha and stir. Garnish with a lime wedge, extra sliced strawberries, and hibiscus flowers!
(This page may contain an affiliate link(s). I may be compensated through these links, but all opinions are my own. Thanks again SO much for supporting the brands that I love and use in my kitchen!)