OMG. I can’t contain my excitement over this one. I didn’t think I could love guacamole any more than I do, but this combo of flavors is insane. I loaded all of my favorite fall ingredients (minus apples) into this bowl of smashed avocado love. Bacon, butternut, sage, pomegranate, and toasted pumpkin seeds are a serious match made in heaven. This app will be on repeat in my kitchen alllll season long. Heck, I might even eat it for dinner.
I can’t get over the textures and flavors. If you’re someone that needs crunch and a ton of different textures in your food (hi, that’s me), you will LOVE this. The pomegranate seeds and pumpkin seeds pop in your mouth, the bacon gives you that salty crunch, and the butternut is super creamy and delicious.
Oh. I also fried the sage leaves in bacon grease. Best decision EVER. I usually fry my sage leaves in brown butter if I’m adding them to pizza, pasta, or salad, but the bacon fat is a total game changer.
I used a paleo bacon in this, which means it has no sugar, additives or crazy ingredients. I actually love the taste of it and it’s a “cleaner” option. If you can’t find it, any bacon will do. An applewood smoked bacon would be delicious in this.
This weekend I really felt the first feeling of autumn. It was chilly at night and I LOVED it. It made me want to go make all the fall foods and go pumpkin/apple/squash picking at my local farm. Definitely going to go next weekend.
This recipe is super perfect for watching football, weekend snacking, a fun app to bring to a party, or dinner..like I said. Snack dinners are my fave.
Loaded Autumn Guacamole
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 c. cubed butternut squash
- 1 T. olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 2 T. pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 c. pomegranate seeds
- 4 avocados
- juice of 2 limes + extra for topping
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro + extra for topping
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a rimmed backing sheet with parchment or foil. Place butternut squash of baking sheet and toss with olive oil and a few pinches of salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast your pumpkin seeds. Preheat a small skillet to medium heat and add pumpkin seeds. Toast, stirring often for a few minutes until they get a little golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium/high and fry the bacon until crispy. Let drain on paper towels. Using the same pan, fry the sage leaves until golden, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let drain on paper towels as well. Chop the bacon once cool enough to handle.
- Add avocado, lime juice ,and salt to a medium mixing bowl and smash with a fork to desired consistency. Add cilantro and crumble the sage in using your fingers. Stir to combine. If you want to reserve a few of the leaves for garnish like I did, you can.
Next, fold in the chopped bacon and pumpkin seeds, then the pomegranate seeds, reserving a little of each ingredient if you want to garnish the top. Lastly, gently fold in the butternut squash. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with extra cilantro, reserved toppings, and extra fried sage leaves if using. Squeeze with a little extra lime to taste.
Seriously SO DREAMY.
[…] It makes ALL the difference. Also, the paleo bacon. Another obsession. I know I talked about it in Monday’s post, but I can’t get enough. Such a great “cleaner” option for bacon with no sugar or […]