Can you tell I’m into avocado and jalapeño lately? I can’t help it. I love all Mexican food and flavors SO much. Instead of making a Tex-Mex inspired brunch, I decided to go for tacos today. This is a great recipe for the upcoming football season, or for an easy, weeknight back-to-school dinner. Slow cooker to the rescue!
I love this time of year because it means breaking out the slow cooker more often, making more soups, and fun game-day recipes. To be honest, I really don’t care very much about football, but the food is another story.
If you aren’t familiar with mojo, it’s basically a Cuban marinade that consists of citrus and herbs. I used a mixture of orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, fresh oregano, onion, and garlic to cook the chicken in. It has so much bright flavor and it’s a nice change from all the spicy chili/cumin rubbed chicken I usually use for tacos.
This chicken can definitely be made ahead of time. You can either cook it on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for about 4 if you’re pressed for time. You really can’t mess this up.
It’s served with crunchy cabbage, this avocado jalapeño crema that is to die for, and crumbled queso fresco. Because what’s a taco without it?!
Serve these up with my favorite guac and some mexican beers or margs. Can you tell I’m excited for the season?
Crockpot Mojo Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Avocado Crema
- For the CHICKEN:
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- juice of 3 oranges
- juice of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- For the CREMA:
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 c. plain Greek yogurt
- squeeze of lime
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. water
- For SERVING:
- your favorite tortillas
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- 1-2 c. shredded cabbage
- 1/2 c. crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- lime wedges
- Place sliced onions, garlic, oregano, and bay leaf in a slow cooker. Place the chicken on top. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and stir. Pour over the chicken. Cook for 4 hours on high or 7-8 on low.
When chicken is finished cooking, remove from crockpot, let cool slightly, and shred with two forks. Discard the onions, bay leaf, garlic cloves, and oregano sprigs. Place the shredded chicken back into its cooking juices.
- To make the crema, combine the avocado, jalapeño, garlic, Greek yogurt, squeeze of lime, salt, and water in a food processor or blender. Blend until creamy.
- To assemble the tacos, top chicken with a handful of cabbage, a drizzle of crema, a sprinkle of queso fresco, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
Leave a Reply