Can you tell I’m into avocado and jalapeño lately? I can’t help it. I love all Mexican food and flavors SO much. Instead of making a Tex-Mex inspired brunch, I decided to go for tacos today. This is a great recipe for the upcoming football season, or for an easy, weeknight back-to-school dinner. Slow cooker to the rescue!
I love this time of year because it means breaking out the slow cooker more often, making more soups, and fun game-day recipes. To be honest, I really don’t care very much about football, but the food is another story.
If you aren’t familiar with mojo, it’s basically a Cuban marinade that consists of citrus and herbs. I used a mixture of orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, fresh oregano, onion, and garlic to cook the chicken in. It has so much bright flavor and it’s a nice change from all the spicy chili/cumin rubbed chicken I usually use for tacos.
This chicken can definitely be made ahead of time. You can either cook it on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for about 4 if you’re pressed for time. You really can’t mess this up.
It’s served with crunchy cabbage, this avocado jalapeño crema that is to die for, and crumbled queso fresco. Because what’s a taco without it?!
Serve these up with my favorite guac and some mexican beers or margs. Can you tell I’m excited for the season?
- For the CHICKEN:
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- juice of 3 oranges
- juice of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lime
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- 1 T. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- For the CREMA:
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ⅓ c. plain Greek yogurt
- squeeze of lime
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. water
- For SERVING:
- your favorite tortillas
- ¼ c. chopped cilantro
- 1-2 c. shredded cabbage
- ½ c. crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- lime wedges
- Place sliced onions, garlic, oregano, and bay leaf in a slow cooker. Place the chicken on top. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and stir. Pour over the chicken. Cook for 4 hours on high or 7-8 on low.
- When chicken is finished cooking, remove from crockpot, let cool slightly, and shred with two forks. Discard the onions, bay leaf, garlic cloves, and oregano sprigs.
- Place the shredded chicken back into its cooking juices.
- To make the crema, combine the avocado, jalapeño, garlic, Greek yogurt, squeeze of lime, salt, and water in a food processor or blender. Blend until creamy.
- To assemble the tacos, top chicken with a handful of cabbage, a drizzle of crema, a sprinkle of queso fresco, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.